Enriching all members of our Church family
Riderwood Village and Arbor Ridge
Riderwood Village Retirement Community and Arbor Ridge lies within the geographic boundaries of Resurrection Parish. Currently, 800 plus Catholics reside there making Catholicism the largest religious population representing nearly one-third of the total Riderwood community.
Resurrection parish ministers to the spiritual needs and wants of the Catholics residing in the independent living, assisted care, and skilled nursing settings at the Riderwood Village and Arbor Ridge. A full-time Pastoral Associate work with and for the Riderwood Resurrection Catholic Community Sunday through Friday
As of March, 2021, Riderwood has increased the chapel capacity to 50% or 171 people.
As a result of this increased capacity, we have not had any problems with people being able to attend any of our Masses so please feel free to come to whichever Mass you prefer. Masks are required, and we still ask you to distance yourself from others not in your household. To receive Holy Communion, we ask you to please come up to the front in two lines. Those who are limited in mobility should sit in the front or on the sides by the windows and the priest/EOM will bring Communion to you.
The Riderwod/Resurrection Catholic Community is an integral part of Resurrection parish in nearby Burtonsville and is served by the priests of that parish. Fr. John Barry is our Parish administrator and he is assisted by Fr. Virginus Osuagwu (local religious Priest, serving the parish part-time) and one permanent deacon, Chuck Bieberich.
We encourage Catholic residents to register and participate with the parish. One does not have to be registered to receive the benefits of ministry from the parish staff and its volunteers.
What is available to Catholics in Riderwood?
Eucharistic Liturgy (Mass)
- Sundays – 9:00 am & 2:00 pm in the Chapel
- Wednesdays – 3:00 pm in the Chapel
- Holy Days of Obligation & Seasonal Liturgies in the Chapel (check postings for times)
If you are unable to attend Mass in person,
We also offer two options to watch Mass from our Parish in the comfort and safety of your apartment:
- Tune in to Channel 976 for a live broadcast of our masses as they are being celebrated in the chapel. The times will be on Sundays at 9:00 and 2:00 and Wednesdays at 3:00. We usually make announcements during these masses that may be of interest to those who could not physically make it to the chapel.
- Enjoy the taped mass from the Main Church which is geared toward the entire Parish and includes a small ensemble singing liturgical music for the season. This option is on Channel 972 and is offered 4 times on Sundays: 8:30, 11:00, 5:00 and 10:30 p.m. If you would like to follow along with the music and prayers, you can find and download the Mass companion sheet by clicking here.
Wednesdays following the 3:00 pm Liturgy in the Chapel
A tabernacle housing the Eucharist is located in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (small room adjacent to the Chapel). The Main & Blessed Sacrament Chapels are open 24 hours a day. you are welcome to make a visit at any time.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation
The Sacrament of Reconciliation will be offered periodically through the year and will be advertised in the Riderwood section Parish Bulletin which can be picked up at any of the Masses. It will also be announced at our masses. Once we are no longer restricted by COVID precautions, we anticipate moving back to a monthly schedule for offering confessions.
Wednesday Wisdom is a weekly 2 sided newsletter/flier with a timely spiritual piece on one side and upcoming weekly Catholic news on the other.
There are many opportunities available to Catholic at Riderwood. Among the ministries that would welcome volunteers are:
- Audio-visual assistant
- Communion Service
- Altar Society (Sacristan)
- Bereavement Ministry (assist at funerals)
For more information contact:
Louise Locke is the Riderwood/Resurrection Catholic Community’s Pastoral Associate. She is an employee of Resurrection Parish with offices located in the pastoral ministries department at Riderwood. You are welcome to call to register, volunteer or make inquires.